BC Communities in Bloom registration deadline March 31
- TIDINESS cleanliness of green spaces (parks etc); medians, boulevards, sidewalks, streets, properties, ditches, road shoulders; vacant lots and buildings, repair and maintenance; signage; weeds, graffiti and vandalism issues.
- ENVIRONMENTAL ACTION 3‐R initiatives (reduce reuse recycle); waste reduction, landfill sites, hazardous waste collections; water conservation; naturalization; environmental stewardship activities; under the guiding principles of sustainable development.
- HERITAGE CONSERVATION Priority given to natural heritage, as well as the integration of landscape and streetscapes as it pertains to the built heritage of a community. Recognition for traditions and customs through: festivals and celebrations, events and parades, heritage foods and the arts.
- URBAN FORESTRY demonstrate standards for tree management (selection, planting, and maintenance); written policies, by‐laws; long and short‐term management plans; tree replacement policies; tree inventory; Integrated Pest Management (IPM), heritage; memorial and commemorative trees.
- LANDSCAPE design should harmonize the interests of municipal, commercial and residential sectors of the community. Evaluating the balance of plants, materials and constructed elements; native and introduced materials; appropriate integration of hard surfaces and art elements, Turf & Groundcovers which is now included in this section of the evaluation form.
- FLORAL DISPLAYS evaluates the design, planning, execution, and maintenance of floral displays. Includes the design and placement of annuals, perennials, bulbs, ornamental grasses in the context of originality, distribution, location, diversity, balance, colour, and harmony whether in ground or in containers.
- COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT Recognized as such a major component of the overall program; it has become a key sector to be included in each of the criteria sections. It also creates recognition for volunteers and helps show support for community initiatives by the municipal, business, service and private sectors.